Sunday 27 July 2008

Last Hurrah


"All good things come to an end." Well, I don't know who said or wrote that or if it is necessarily true, but that expressions seems to fit as our good thing here in Paris is coming to an end. It was truly a wonderful year that we were fortunate enough to be able to do. I mean, how lucky we have been to just pick up and move ourselves and our children to Paris to live for a year sheerly for the enjoyment and experience of it all?

Mais alors, the time has come to pack our bags (and bags) and head home. This week while our kids were in pony camp, we had our last hurrahs in the city of Paris. My brother was in town, as was Denise, my Irish friend. We tried to pack as much in as we could. This was my brother's first time in Paris, so he wanted to see the usual sights, and Denise and I just wanted to hang out in the city that brought us together.

During our time together, we drove through Pigalle at night as well as down the Champs-Elysees and around the Arc de Triomphe (woo hoo!) We pondered the name 'le chat noir' and saw up close the new EU look of the Eiffel Tower with its blue lights and circle of stars. During the day, we Velib'ed along the Seine and then through the Louvre to see the "new" pyramid, and then on toward Pompidou where Denise and I reminisced about our youth. We had a good time eating at cafes and people watching. We had a great visit, and now it's back to packing.

I'm truly going to miss Paris and its polite citizenry, the great transportation, especially bus 92, the beauty every where you look, the light through the chestnut trees, the balcons with the black wrought iron, the cobblestoned streets, the Seine, and the velibs, of course the velibs.

But what I think I'm going to miss most is who I am when I am here. I feel so free, alive. I have hope in the future and feel like Paris brings out the best in me. It may not make a lot of sense to anyone else, but that's the best way I can explain it. Sure, I'm happy and free back in my hometown as well, but I just feel lighter here somehow. I'm quite tearful right now, so I'm going to leave on this note, "Paris is everywhere, Paris is everywhere, Paris is everywhere".

Un gros bisou.

6 comments:

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Bon retour!
I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to meet a fellow Paris Blog blogger (especially one who loves the 92 bus); but I know exactly what you mean about finding yourself in Paris.

You'll be back sometime -- maybe many times -- and in any case now you have Paris in your bones. You'll take it with you wherever you go.

Best,
Polly

Anonymous said...

As a Paris lover myself, I've so enjoyed reading your blog this past year. What a wonderful time it has been for you and the family. Those memories you will have forever. Hold them close. Bon Voyage, and all the luck in the world.
Sue

swiss miss said...

Thanks so much, Polly and Sue. I'll keep tabs on Paris through polly-vous francais (which is quite clever) and the Paris Blog which has been great to be a part of!

Jenny said...

Hello Dryanna,
I have from time to time read your blog especially when I happened upon it while researching for our family's French adventure that was this June (so wonderful to have experienced but so sad that it has passed). But One of the reasons I wanted so much to introduce my family (husband, two step-daughters-12 & 10, and my own little one, 1 year old) to Paris is for the same reasons you gave. I, who usually uses so many words, cannot quite put into words the "experience of Paris". I was blessed to have first stayed in Paris for about 10 weeks in 1993, and another 10 weeks in 1997 while in college with a missions group. I remember the small town Texas me felt an immediate at-homeness in every nook and cranny of Paris I explored, but somehow I could never describe that sense of how the Paris me felt a little different from me all the time. The city of Lights indeed is more better described as the City of dreams. I thank you for all you have shared as it has help me vicariously enjoy the city I still hope to know more. God continue to Bless you and your family on your further adventures. Warm regards, Jenny

Starman said...

My greatest disappointment in Paris was the NOT-SO-GREAT transportation. Paris is NOT a city for people with handicaps who cannot climb stairs to get up and down in the métro. Or those who cannot walk a great deal. I now fully understand why every Parisian who can afford it, owns a car.

Anonymous said...

Dianna
I'm thrilled the experience of this past year thrilled you. This is what life is all about...the beauty of the light through the trees, the eternal life of it all. I'm glad we are friends and look forward to reminiscing with you when we get back.

From a PlanetEarther to a Parisian

Marty